Southern Miss to take lead role in New Center for Gulf Studies | Schools
Environmental disasters, both manmade and natural, have prompted the need for improved, comprehensive understanding of the waters and resources of the Gulf of Mexico.
To that end, The University of Southern Mississippi has taken the lead role in formation of the new Center for Gulf Studies. The center represents a partnership between Southern Miss and the state’s other research universities – Mississippi State University, the University of Mississippi and Jackson State University.
Administered through the Southern Miss Department of Marine Science at Stennis Space Center, CGS seeks to serve the people of Mississippi, the northern Gulf region and the country with a scientifically-based understanding of ecosystem status and trends (past to present, predictive) with special emphasis on improved forecasting abilities to ensure sustainable coastal and ocean ecosystems of the Gulf of Mexico.
For more on this article, click HERE to go to the USM website.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Salvation Army collects for Christmas Angels
- Suspect charged after string of burglaries at Hattiesburg High School
- Sumrall woman delivers afghan blankets to Collins veterans
- C Spire launches next phase of its fiber to the home initiative: Homeowner Pre-Registration for 100 times faster internet
- Mississippi Supreme Court ruling stands in soccer cases against USM
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked