Southern Miss to take lead role in New Center for Gulf Studies | Schools
Environmental disasters, both manmade and natural, have prompted the need for improved, comprehensive understanding of the waters and resources of the Gulf of Mexico.
To that end, The University of Southern Mississippi has taken the lead role in formation of the new Center for Gulf Studies. The center represents a partnership between Southern Miss and the state’s other research universities – Mississippi State University, the University of Mississippi and Jackson State University.
Administered through the Southern Miss Department of Marine Science at Stennis Space Center, CGS seeks to serve the people of Mississippi, the northern Gulf region and the country with a scientifically-based understanding of ecosystem status and trends (past to present, predictive) with special emphasis on improved forecasting abilities to ensure sustainable coastal and ocean ecosystems of the Gulf of Mexico.
For more on this article, click HERE to go to the USM website.
Top Lamar County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hattiesburg residents speak out on immigration bill
- Thriffiley New Director-Liaison for Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
- USM halts tornado relief in deference to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Hattiesburg Sunrise Rotary Club gives $5000 to scouts
- Southern Miss halts solicitations for campus beautification campaign