British Studies students take in 2012 Summer Olympics Action | Schools
Students and faculty participating in The University of Southern Mississippi summer British Studies Program typically learn about London’s past while visiting its venerable historic sites, including Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. But this year’s group also witnessed history in the making as the international city hosted the 2012 Summer Olympics, the first time for the city to host the games since 1948.
“Not many people get to say they were in London at the same time as the Olympics,” said Ashley Ward of Daphne, Ala., a communications studies major. “It was packed and crowded, but exciting.”
“The pageantry of the Olympics is exciting, everybody was getting into it,” said Southern Miss student Cory Gunkel of Gulfport. “You saw a lot of the Olympic atmosphere defining the city. It was an exciting and unique experience.”
For more on this article, click on the USM WEBSITE.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Suspect charged after string of burglaries at Hattiesburg High School
- Salvation Army collects for Christmas Angels
- Sumrall woman delivers afghan blankets to Collins veterans
- C Spire launches next phase of its fiber to the home initiative: Homeowner Pre-Registration for 100 times faster internet
- Mississippi Supreme Court ruling stands in soccer cases against USM
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked