British Studies students take in 2012 Summer Olympics Action | Schools
Students and faculty participating in The University of Southern Mississippi summer British Studies Program typically learn about London’s past while visiting its venerable historic sites, including Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. But this year’s group also witnessed history in the making as the international city hosted the 2012 Summer Olympics, the first time for the city to host the games since 1948.
“Not many people get to say they were in London at the same time as the Olympics,” said Ashley Ward of Daphne, Ala., a communications studies major. “It was packed and crowded, but exciting.”
“The pageantry of the Olympics is exciting, everybody was getting into it,” said Southern Miss student Cory Gunkel of Gulfport. “You saw a lot of the Olympic atmosphere defining the city. It was an exciting and unique experience.”
For more on this article, click on the USM WEBSITE.
Top Lamar County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mississippi Polymer Institute teams with Miss. State on Rocket Project
- Schoemann named Operations Manager at Southern Miss Center
- Geography students study McComb’s assets for downtown development
- Department of Education offers opportunity to students denied graduation
- Thousands of MS students denied for graduation ceremonies