“Lady Dell,” 1954 Phi Mu Sorority Pledge, initiated during 2012 Homecoming Week | People
Phi Mu Lady Week at the University of Southern Mississippi recently took on a very special meaning for a 1954 Phi Mu pledge, Dell Mechatto Martin of Belzoni, Miss.
Referred to as 'Lady Dell' by friends and family, Martin was one of the founding members of the university’s famed Dixie Darlings in 1954. But due to a relative’s untimely illness, Martin decided it was best to leave Southern Miss and help her family.
After 58 years, Martin returned to Southern Miss during the 2012 homecoming week, finally getting her justly deserved initiation into the Alpha Omicron chapter of Phi Mu. Martin was only a freshman when she had to leave, and therefore never became an official member of the sorority.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment