Local AKA chapter celebrates sorority's centennial | News
HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM)- Members of a Hattiesburg chapter of a national sorority are recognizing the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of that organization.
Members of the Theta Sigma Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority celebrated Tuesday by gathering for a luncheon at 206 Front Street.
Alpha Kappa Alpha was incorporated in January of 1913, but was actually founded in 1908 at Howard University in Washington, D.C.
"We believe that we set the foundation for everyone and we started in 1908 and we continue to be here and continue to be a service to mankind," said Sonya Varnell, president of the Theta Sigma Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
The organization has 900 chapters and 200,000 members worldwide.
Copyright 2013 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Top Lamar County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Petal and Hattiesburg residents voice opinions on sewer rates
- Student Affairs at Southern Miss Awards Comcast Scholarships
- Hattiesburg increasing sewer rates for Petal and Lamar County
- Soldier killed in Iraq honored during Shelby ceremony
- Over 20 Hattiesburg teachers lose their jobs; Lamar County Schools lack funding