More than 15,000 sign petition to secede Mississippi from union | News
More than 15,500 people have signed a petition to "peacefully grant the State of Mississippi to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own new government."
Created on November 9 by a man in Picayune at the We The People section of the official White House website, the petition requires 25,000 signatures before it warrants a response from the White House. So far, there has been no comment from the White House, and they could opt to not comment at all per rules on the petition site.
To sign the petition, a person must enter a valid e-mail address and zip code.
Mississippi is not the only state with a petition for secession on the site. Other states with petitions include Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, Tennessee and 14 others.
Copyright 2012 WDAM, KLTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked