Lamar County students learn school bus safety tips | News
LAMAR COUNTY, MS (WDAM)- As part of National Bus Safety Week, Lori and Andy key were in Lamar County Elementary Schools Monday teaching students how to safely cross the road while getting on and off the bus.
The Key's are the parents of five-year-old Nathan Key who was killed by a vehicle illegally passing a stopped school bus in 2009. The are instrumental in the passing of "Nathan's Law" which calls for stiffer penalties for drivers who pass a stopped school when children are getting on and off.
The Key's are part of a task force that was developed as part of "Nathan's Law". As part of the task force they are traveling around the state to schools with their bus safety message.
"Every child should understand the proper loading and unloading procedure due to the death of Nathan, said Lori Key. "I think it's very important that they understand and follow the safety rules."
The Key's say they will continue taking their message to the schools for as long it takes to reach every child in the state.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment