Family reflects on life of Ada Smith; officials hunt for her killer | News
LAMAR COUNTY, MS (WDAM)- Officials say a Purvis resident found dead Sunday was murdered.
According to Sheriff Danny Rigel, shortly after 4 p.m., police received a call from a family member of Ada Smith, 95, and that person said Smith appeared to be a victim of homicide. Smith was found dead inside her residence on Highway 589 just north of Purvis city limits in the Progress Community. Her vehicle is missing.
"It's believed that the victim's vehicle was also stolen, and we're looking for a '93 Buick Century, white in color, and it's got a Lamar County tag, disabled tag and its C-3899," said Rigel. "If anybody sees that vehicle please notify the Lamar County Sheriffs Department or your local law enforcement, it is listed in the NCIC. So, if you see it, don't approach it and call your local law enforcement."
Smith's body has been sent to Jackson for autopsy in order to confirm cause of death.
Ada Smith's family said that at 95, she was still independent, and though disabled, she was very sharp-minded, living by herself up until Sunday afternoon.
Family says Smith could not get around as well without her motorized chair, but she still managed to make it to church on her good days thanks to fellow churchgoers. She is also said to have deep religious convictions.
Smith had 21 grandchildren, 32 great-grandchildren, and 8 great-great grandchildren.
Sheriff Rigel said they are looking into the recent Forrest County Community Work Center escapees, James Robert Martin and David Bass, as persons of interest but cannot confirm they are the ones responsible.
Sheriff Rigel went on to say that social media has been a "pitfall" with the investigation. The Sheriff's department has received a lot of rumors and misleading tips. Rigel asks that the community only give factual information.
If you see the two recent Forrest County escapees or Smith's car, the Lamar County Sheriffs Department wants you to call 601-794-8610.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Marion County man dies near scene of car collision with his horse as home burns
- Laundry service to bring jobs to Marion County
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy