PSC Commissioner Bentz addresses GOP Women | News
LAMAR COUNTY, MS (WDAM)- Mississippi's Southern Dist. Public Service Commissioner is reacting to last week's hearing on the future of Mississippi Power Company's Kemper County plant. Leonard Bentz was in Oak Grove Tuesday afternoon, speaking to Forrest/Lamar Republican Women.
Last Friday, a Harrison County judge heard from Mississippi Power Company and the Sierra Club, which is challenging the Public Service Commission's order to allow construction of that $2.8 billion plant to move forward.
Mississippi Power says the plant is needed for future energy needs, but the Sierra Club says it's a bad deal for ratepayers.
Bentz supports the project.
"I think that they are going to move forward in the project," Bentz said. "I think that the plant is going to be working at the timeline that it's supposed to be working. At the end of the day, it's going to be a benefit to the ratepayers in the State of Mississippi," he said.
A ruling is expected in three to four weeks.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- HHS burglaries prompt school officials to replace security cameras
- Hattiesburg garbage truck fire extinguished on Highway 98
- Midday Guests: Wendy and Houston Rhodes with the Seth Harris Childhood Cancer Foundation
- Southern Miss president touts energy research at USM
- Hattiesburg’s National Night Out Against Crime Campaign Ranks 8th in Country
- Marion County man dies near scene of car collision with his horse as home burns
- Laundry service to bring jobs to Marion County
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy