Work continues on damaged Lake Serene dam | News
Heavy rains from Tropical Storm Isaac caused a portion of the bank of the dam on Buccaneer Drive to slide.
Lamar County Emergency Management Director James Smith says the one-hundred-acre-Oak Grove Lake is in the process of being completely drained into adjoining Stumpy Lake so the damage can be assessed and repairs can begin. The process should take four to five days.
About 10-families who live along the banks of the Stumpy took the advice of a voluntary evacuation. Smith says they may be able to return this evening.
Buccaneer Drive will remain closed until repairs are made.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Fully-loaded tanker-trailer cleared from Highway 49
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked
- Marion County Board restores $50,000 of Marion County Development Partnership's budget