Members of Grace Covenant Church carry cross on Good Friday | News
LAMAR COUNTY, MS (WDAM)- Dozens of members of one Purvis church spent part of their Good Friday reenacting the journey Jesus is said to have taken just before he was crucified.
About 100 members of Grace Covenant Church walked with a large wooden cross several miles from downtown Purvis to their church at the intersection of Old Highway 11 and Deavers Rd. A local chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes also went along.
Participants said it helps strengthen their faith.
"It goes back to exactly what He went through and what He did for us and the cruelty of it," said Scott Murphy, pastor of Grace Covenant Church.
"It certainly doesn't compare to the terrible walk that He had for us, but it just brings to mind that He did go that extra mile for us and that's why we do it," said Peter Rousse, one of the walk participants.
"It's just to make you kind of stop and think and just remember what sacrifice that He made for us on that day," said Tami Rousse, who also took part in the walk.
This was the third year for the church's Good Friday walk.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked
- Marion County Board restores $50,000 of Marion County Development Partnership's budget