Bel-Aire opens One-of-a Kind Science Lab with help of GCRL and MDMR | Events
Thanks to a $5,500 grant from the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources and a donation of approximately $10,000 worth of equipment from the University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast Research Laboratory’s Marine Education Center, Bel-Aire Elementary School in Gulfport is opening the only elementary science laboratory of its kind in the Harrison County School District.
The MEC’s donation included tanks of various sizes (including touch-tanks) and complete filtration system set-ups for all the tanks. Also, a myriad of creatures were donated.
Some of these creatures were raised as part of the aquaculture program at GCRL, others have been brought to the MEC throughout the years in need of rehabilitation and still others have been caught off of East Beach adjacent to the GCRL teaching site. In addition, a very special donation of a brown banded bamboo sharkwas made by the Aquarium of Pacific located in Long Beach, CA.
For more on this article, click HERE to go to the USM website.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked