Chainsaw artist to transform tree into Golden Eagle | Events
On Nov. 17 chainsaw artist Dayton Scoggins will reshape an ailing live oak on The University Southern Mississippi Hattiesburg campus into a beloved icon.
The tree, located on the east side of the Walker Science Building and across from the west entrance of the R.C. Cook Student Union will be carved into a golden eagle, the university’s mascot, beginning at 9 a.m. The project is scheduled to be completed prior to Saturday’s 7 p.m. Conference USA football game against the University of Texas-El Paso.
“Dayton is a local carver whose work is well known from some of the (Hurricane) Katrina trees on the coast,” said Loren Erickson, superintendent of campus landscape for Southern Miss. “This tree is dead and would be in need of removal regardless, but the chance for it to remain as an art piece makes its loss much easier to absorb.”
For more on this article, click HERE to go to the USM website.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Sumrall woman delivers afghan blankets to Collins veterans
- Suspect charged after string of burglaries at Hattiesburg High School
- Salvation Army collects for Christmas Angels
- C Spire launches next phase of its fiber to the home initiative: Homeowner Pre-Registration for 100 times faster internet
- Mississippi Supreme Court ruling stands in soccer cases against USM
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked