Southern Miss to host French Quarter Legend “Queen Clarinet” Doreen Ketchens | Arts & Culture
On Feb. 5 The University of Southern Mississippi College of Arts & Letters and Honors Forum will bring New Orleans jazz and culture to Hattiesburg as they host Doreen Ketchens, a musical legend from the French Quarter. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center, Ballroom 1 and admission is free.
Ketchens has been called "Queen Clarinet" "the female Louis Armstrong” and “Lady Louie” by music critics. She has performed for four U. S. presidents, including Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton.
“We not only entertain, but also educate through music the rich, historic and diverse culture of New Orleans,” said Ketchens, who will also offer an interactive workshop at 6:30, followed by what promises to be an amazing performance.
For more on this article, click HERE to go to the USM website.
Upcoming Events near Lamar County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Fully-loaded tanker-trailer cleared from Highway 49
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy
- A messy and expensive sewage situation in Columbia is close to being resolved.
- Marion County child molestation suspect's bond revoked
- Marion County Board restores $50,000 of Marion County Development Partnership's budget